Do you suffer from teeth grinding at night? Our dentists may recommend night guards to help protect your teeth. These oral appliances are custom fitted to your mouth and help to prevent unnecessary damage to your smile. Schedule an appointment with Dr. Shivani Shirgavi or Dr. Rebekah Collins for more information about night guards in Abington, Massachusetts, by calling Abington Dental Associates at 781.878.0001.
A night guard is a special type of mouth guard that is used to treat bruxism, or teeth grinding and clenching. If our dentists or team suspect that you suffer from bruxism, we may recommend a night guard to protect your teeth from damage and prevent teeth grinding while you sleep. Many people who suffer from bruxism are unaware of the condition because it occurs while they sleep. Common signs of nighttime teeth clenching and grinding include:
- Chronic jaw pain, facial pain and ear pain
- Awakening with a tired or tight feeling in the jaw
- Frequent tension headaches and migraines
- Excessive tooth wear, leading to chipped, flattened, cracked or very worn teeth
- Extremely worn tooth enamel, exposing the inner layers of the tooth
- Indentations on the side of the tongue
- Increased tooth sensitivity
If you notice the signs of bruxism, you may benefit from a custom night guard. This night guard will be made to fit your smile comfortably and effectively, allowing you to sleep peacefully while protecting your teeth. We invite you to contact us today to learn more about night guards and how we can prevent the negative effects of teeth grinding. We are dedicated to providing the best possible care for your smile.